Search This Blog

Saturday, May 22, 2010

botched census?

According to an email sent by Alberto Barrow, of each 10 census takers, 6 did not ask the question about African descent.

I was asked.


My roommates were asked. Fenaba was visiting and she too was counted! She was asked. I have tried to casually ask friends of mine if they were asked and some yes, some no, some were asked one part but not both.

A Colombia friend said he was asked if he was Black or African descent, to which he replied yes. When I asked how he answered he 2nd part (was he West Indian, colonial, Black, other, none) he had no idea what I was talking about, then hypothesized that my male census taker was making up questions to stay and talk to me. ummmmm no. lol He was just doing his job.

As soon as the census was over, or rather as soon as the 95% of people who were counted were finished being counted on census day, leaders of the Black community voiced their discontent with the census process, lack of funding, and the problems with the upcoming results.

The full census results should be available in December. For now, these are the preliminary results, which do not include information about indigenous or african descendent populations. Remember the Panamanian census is population and dwelling (poblacion y vivienda)

No comments:

Post a Comment