Search This Blog

Friday, March 5, 2010

Video about the 2010 Census in Panama


I did not know before arriving in Panama that this was the year for the census. I also found out, quite early in my trip, that for the first time I question about "being black" would be included. Panama is not the only country to do this; this question is being included in many countries, although the wording is not the same everywhere.

I attended a workshop on this very topic in Colon back in December with some of the people in this video (Eunice Menesses, Ricardo Weeks). And in my interviews I ask people about the census, how they feel about this question and how will they respond when they come knocking at the door in May! (will post an interesting exchange about this once I translate it)

*edit* I just received an email with the official logo as well*


this is in Spanish, but in an effort to educate about the census (may 16 2010) this video was produced. I am interested to hear thoughts about it. The question that will, for the first time, appear on the census will look like this:

LA PREGUNTA QUE SE INCLUYE EN LOS CENSOS PANAMÁ 2010 CON RESPECTO A LOS AFRODESCENDIENTES ES LA SIGUIENTE:

¿Alguna persona de este hogar se considera negro (a) o afrodescendiente?

Does anyone in this home consider himself/herself black or of African descent?

_____ No ______

Si se contesta afirmativamente, entonces ésta da paso a otra interrogante específica:

If you answer yes, then this leads to another specific question:

¿Se considera usted…

Do you consider yourself...

negro (a) colonial _____________ negro (a) antillano (a) _______________

negro (a) _____________ otro_______________ ninguna_____________ antillano(a)


youtube also has related videos, and if anyone is interested this site has also has articles about the census (the question of afro descendiente) in Costa Rica, Chile, and Argentina.


No comments:

Post a Comment